Mj
Mj asked:

Does it matter if you read Half Broke Horses BEFORE The Glass Castle? Am not sure how interconnected the books are and hence the order of reading them.

To answer questions about Half Broke Horses, please sign up.
Janelle No it doesn't matter they are two separate stories but are connected. I read the Glass Castle first and then Half Broke Horses. I kept thinking back to the glass castle toward the end of Half Broke Horses when Rex was introduced. If I had a do over I would of read Half Broke Horses first and then Glass Castle. So I think you are good.
Vicky Young I read the Glass Castle first and then Half Broke Horses. The first is memoir and the second fiction though based on known family events. I think its best to know the reality of Walls' childhood and then go back to see what her grandmother's life might have been like.
Kangbekho I read Glass Castle a few years ago and just finished Half Broke Horses yesterday. Reading GC first made me become more invested in the "characters" of HBH from the get-go since their stories would eventually converge into the becoming of Jeanette Walls.

Awesome book. Packed with wisdom.

Now I want to read GC again.
Nancy Reigle Read Glass Castle first. Half Broke Horses makes more sense when reading it as you find out about the people you met in GC.
Wendy P I read Half Broke Horses first because I didn't realize that there was another book, but it totally doesn't matter what order you read them in. However, I might recommend Half Broke Horses first because you learn a little background on Rosemary and Rex.
Kate No. I haven't read Glass Castle yet, and I don't feel like that detracted at all from how much I enjoyed Half Broke Horses.
Nicole No, that's the order I read them in. If I had known I might have read them in the other order but it's okay that I didn't.
Miharu Wismar I read Half Broke Horses first and then The Glass Castle.
I'm glad the way I read to know the history of her back ground first.
Kelley Parker Evans I read the glass castle first, and it seemed the best sequence for the stories, for me. Loved all 3 of her stories
Mj Thanks Vicky, Janelle and Wendy P for your helpful answers.
Image for Half Broke Horses