Sarah
Sarah asked:

Do I need to read the Percy Jackson series before I can read the hero's of Olympus?

To answer questions about The Lost Hero, please sign up.
Shaun Harris It's not a requirement to read the original Percy Jackson series to understand what's going on in the Heroes of Olympus series. In fact, it seems like Rick made a point to make it easier for new readers to enjoy the series.

However, there are many references to events and characters from the original series, so it's definitely helpful to read them (not watch the movies - the movies are pretty different from the books).
Kaili You don't HAVE to. But it would make a lot more sense if you read the Percy Jackson series first.
Also, TEAM LEO!
Serena It would make better sense to you in the long run if you did read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians before the Heroes of Olympus.
Aurora I would, simply because it makes references to stuff from PJ and includes some of the characters. You don't Have to, but it is highly recommended. Plus the first series was just really good and funny. (Ps. Watching the movies is Not the same as reading them- the movies are significantly different and not as good)
Alexx Sy In my opinion, you should. It will be a bit confusing if you don't because there will be a lot of PJO references in the book (and even later on in the HoO series)
Frogotron I would if i were you.
Lula McCuela The Percy Jackson series, even by itself, is amazing. I think that if you read it before starting the Heroes of Olympus series, you'll really have a better feel for the characters, and already understand a lot of the background. I suppose you don't HAVE to, in order to understand this series, but I highly recommend it.
Yassine Benrami Yes, I highly recommend that you do it for the sake of knowing the impact that Percy had with the demigods at Camp Half-Blood, and for also knowing the history of what had happened before the vents that are occurring in The Lost Hero
Anon_aura I agree; It would be better for you to read PJO first. :)
Bethany I would because then you have lots more questions to be answered like who are Silena Beauregard and the Heaphestus kid whom I've forgotten his name.
Ashley Morales Yes! The Percy Jackson Series basically tell you everything about all the demigod so you have to read them to fully understand the Hero's of Olympus series.
Lila Yes, you should definitely read the Percy Jackson series first. I think it would be a better experience for you to read it first otherwise the magic just won't be the same. Also, don't even bother to watch the movies. They're simply horrid. Hope this helps!
Taylor winter YES!!!!! the books will involve lots of things that you would only understand if you read the Percy Jackson books
Garham You Should if you want it to make sense
Juana It is unnecessary for you to read the Percy Jackson series before reading the Hero's of Olympus. However, characters and events from the Percy Jackson series are included in Hero's of Olympus Series so if you want to get a background of some of the characters you should reading the previous series.
Bella Budzinski you should but dont have too. if u do you will understand it a little more
Habibur Russell you can't feel the heroes of olympus series without reading the percy jackson series first
gaby You do because in the second book it makes a lot of references to PJ and it would not make that much sense.
Grace yes, you do. Otherwise, you will not have a lot of the background information you will need. Some of the characters will be unknown to you, and you will need to know all of the Greek mythology stated in Percy Jackson and the Olympians.
Keivon No you don't have to because i didn't I am just reading the series of Olympus and then the Percy Jackson series. But it is your choice.
Mark Wilson You don't have to as long as you have some introduction as to what Camp Half-Blood is. Even if your only segway was the movie, The Lost Hero is a friendly book so far to those who are new to Camp Half-Blood.
Isabella yeast will make it much easier to read
Ximena no, well, i did, i was in love w/ percy jackson books, and it was mostly because they made us read in class. But because these sets of rick riordan books have new characters and have nothing to do with the other set, it would be OK
Jessica Reading the Percy Jackson series before this one will make you disappointed with Heroes of Olympus, trust me. But there are also some elements in this book that may confuse you if you haven't read the first series.
Erin you don't have to but you definitely should. there are a lot of jokes and things that you won't get if you haven't read PJO there are also lots of the same characters in PJO and HOO.
Abbey You can read the Heroes of Olympus series, but it can be confusing. It can be confusing to read with the Percy Jackson series too. The Percy Jackson series is about Greek Gods, and the Heroes of Olympus series is about mainly roman gods, with some greek.
ella I only read the Sea of Monsters and I'm reading the Lost Hero right now. It depends, but you should probably read one of the Percy Jacksons (the Last olympian probably) so that you know the characters more. Like Annabeth.
Jo
Cedy Iberri The movies are awful comparing them to Percy Jackson series, you should PJS it's so funny and full of action and after reading those book you'll understand better this series<3
Ash well , i didn't read the Percy Jackson series i only watched the first movie then i started reading this book and i do understand and enjoy most of it .
D.2 It's not a necessary to read the original Percy Jackson series to understand the plot itself. On the other hand, it is recommended to read it as there are references to various characters and previous adventures from the original series.

Also, Percy Jackson and the Olympians is a really good series! You should check it out anyways!
Elizabeth L. I would reccommend you do.
Claire Matthews Yes :-) It is needed to read the PJ series!
Fertasdman i suggest reading Percy Jackson because some of the stuff in here kann relate to stuff in Percy Jackson
Arrow yes, and no? its kinda complicated. you see, this book was made from multiple perspectives so the other characters help fill in the gaps but the
Percy Jackson series helps you understand the back story a litle bit beter
richa (nyx ☾) Yes! There are lots of references from PJO. Without reading it you would not clearly get personality of greek gods, how much they were different from Romans and so why they constantly faced internal conflict between their personalities. Pjo gives better insights to life of demigods and structure of Camp half blood. In nutshell you'll understand HoO way better. Plus Pjo is explosive in itself.
Bibliophie Of course you do. Why are there people saying you don't?
Bob Mcaffery YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kathy I have not read the Percy Jackson books and I am enjoying this book. However, I am an adult reader and I do know a good bit about Greek and Roman mythology and history and I don"t know if that makes a difference. Now I do want to back up and read the Percy Jackson books.
Yehuda Lowy not really but it slightly spoils pj
Tyler Howorth no, you do not need to they are different

Constance i did not read the percy jackson and the olympions series before i read the book i watched one of the movies and it helped me actuwaly
Kharisma Bella i didn't read (or even watched the movie) the percy jackson series before, but I enjoyed reading this book. So i think it's fine if you don't read the percy jackson series before.
Image for The Lost Hero
by Rick Riordan (Goodreads Author)