Is this book worth reading? Can anyone recommend any other Spanish literature? Thank you, it would be much appreciated!

To answer questions about Don Quixote, please sign up.
Unlimitedworld El lazarillo de Tormes is a pretty good book, too, though you might want to have a historical context of the time it is based on.
Michael "Spanish literature" is an ambiguous term. Do you mean literature from Spain or literature written in Spanish? Do you want something from the same period as Don Quixote?
Loren Absolutely. It's worth reading if you are a fan of classics but even if not you will enjoy yourself thoroughly. It's an enjoyable tale and though it is difficult at times, you will be laughing your way through large portions of it.
Kirsten Rodning I agree with Stephen that if you are starting out with Spanish literature, this might be one to read after you have had some historical background. If you are a beginner and interested in Renaissance heroic fiction, however, I would disagree with Stephen's emphasis that you must read the Grossman translation, though hers or the Penguin edition are probably the best choices for a beginner. Find a translation that you are comfortable with (I am currently working with all of the various translations for my thesis), and if you find the text too frustrating or dense, try a different translation (preferably by using Interlibrary Loan, unless you want to drop the cash on multiple editions of the book).

I don't have many Spanish Lit recommendations, but I do know several good Latin American writers: Isabel Allende would be a good one to start with, and Mario Vargas Llosa is also a pretty good Latin American author.
Stephen If you're just starting in Spanish literature, I would save Don Quixote for later down the road. It can hardly be said to grab and hold your attention throughout its hefty length but is eventually worth the read. It takes a bit of historical context to fully enjoy Cervantes and the satire that he plays with throughout the story, so having a background on the history of Spain and Golden Age authors is needed if you really want to appreciate the work. And only read the translation by Edith Grossman! (Unless in the original Spanish, of course)
When it comes to other authors, I prefer Spanish authors from the Americas and would recommend nineteenth- and twentieth-century authors like: Horacio Quiroga, Juan Rulfo, Jorge Luis Borges, Jose Maria Arguedas, Rosario Castellanos, and Elena Poniatowska. Happy Reading!
Image for Don Quixote