Goodreads asked Paul B. Spence:

Paul B. Spence I read. A lot. I read everything I can point my eyes at. If I could have a datajack and plug my brain in, I would. If you want to write in a genre, you need to read everything you can from that genre. You also need to read things outside that genre (I'm fond of thrillers), and (for science fiction) you need to read every scrap of information you can find about anything that is science. Any science. I read physics, biology, chemistry, astrophysics, astronomy, anthropology, archeology, linguistics, sociology, forensics, genetics, psychology, and anything else I can find. Also Kipling. You have to read Kipling.

Then I listen to really good music and let it all flow out into the computer. I really need that datajack...