Goodreads asked Mary Funk:

What’s the best thing about being a writer?

Mary Funk I think I was born with the innate ability to express myself through writing. In elementary school, for example, I loved diagramming sentences and figuring out how to put words together to achieve different results. So it never occurred to me until I was in 5th-6th grade that not everyone could write as easily as I could. It was my gift. As a lowly 8th grader, I entered a school writing contest open to all students in grades 8 through 12--and won!

In college, I majored in English and was going to be a great journalist. After writing prolifically all through college, I turned down a job as a writer for a weekly newspaper in favor of becoming an advertising copywriter. The pay was much better. Yeah, I know: the road not traveled. But I became a darn good copywriter, then marketing/PR manager, then executive VP, and so on. I decided to put off writing my first book until I knew a little bit more about life--and then life just happened. SO, the best thing about being a writer is that you are never too old to write.