Goodreads asked C.S. Alleyne:

C.S. Alleyne I was fascinated by The Greatest Showman film and started researching about freak shows. I love the Victorian era and so started to write about a female character who had had a lot of bad luck but wanted to change her circumstances.

The growth of photography was also prevalent at the time (late 1850s) as was the demand for smutty pictures so I added a couple of characters and mixed the two. I noticed how it was the men who held all the cards and the main character, Maude, was essentially powerless (as were most other women of her time).

But then I thought what if the tables were turned, and so the story took a different direction - one that needs a strong stomach...