Cheese
Cheese asked:

would this book be appropriate for a young teen?

Jen Coombes I came from a household where books were always permitted regardless of age and where censorship mostly came from myself. I could choose to put something down if it was too difficult or if I felt the content might be inappropriate. So with that in mind, I would have no problem with a teenager reading this book. I will say that the book is at times dense and may not appeal to teens but I don't think the violence is problematic as it is explained through a historical perspective and from all sides.
Fred Rose If you are talking a 13 year old, then yes maybe. There is certainly nothing worse in there in terms of violence than any movie or Netflix show. The stories of many of the main characters start in their late teens, and their actions and thoughts would be relatable and meaningful to a young teen. It's a very readable book and shows the complexity of the people involved and how simply the neighborhood you grow up in can matter a lot in your destiny.
Therese I do not believe this would be appropriate reading for a young teen. It contains explicit scenes of killings and torture.
Kirsteen Gordon I would say 16 and up. The style of writing isn`t hard and there are no issues with sex or rape but the people in the book are adults albeit a few aged 17 plus but they have been radicalised. The content of the book is shocking but I wouldn`t hesitate to recommend this book to an older teen and most definitely an adult.
Josep The book contains stunning scences, but all of the episodes form part of the history of Ireland. I think, there's no problem for a teen to read this book if he/she is interested in.
Angie H. Concidering that the www is full of disturbing information they should know about the past of their own country - at the age of about 14 till 16 - and they should have someone to talk about it at school, in their families and with friends.

Laura I would not recommend it for young teens.
Beth I found it very disturbing and couldn't finish it. I think it really depends on the teen.
J.C. For young teens try "Across the Barricades" by Joan Lingard.
Image for Say Nothing