Samantha
Samantha asked:

Has anyone read both Catch and Kill by Ronan Farrow and She Said by Kantor and Twohey? Do you think they are mutually exclusive (that is, if you’ve read one you needn’t necessarily read the other)? Or do they cover sufficiently different ground so as to make reading both worthwhile?

Margaret Sullivan They do cover different ground. I mentioned this in my review: Kantor and Twohey had the New York TImes backing them up. A lot of Farrow's story is just being thwarted by NBC in trying to report the story. There is some overlap but generally they are complementary. Both very much worth reading.

Both books do not just talk about the Weinstein story. Kantor and Twohey cover the Brett Kavanaugh hearing, and Farrow covers Matt Lauer and the operations of the Black Cube investigators.
Sarah Gadsden They're very different stories - I enjoyed reading both. I read "She Said" first, which I'd recommend if you read both (for the sake of chronology).
Rachel Berner I read She Said last month and I'm halfway through Catch and Kill. They are different journeys and I could be remembering incorrectly, but they have some different sources/women they spoke to. Farrow also talks more about Black Cube and the spies that Harvey Weinstein paid to follow these journalists, and he is the one who received the audio from Ambra Gutierrez. I think both books are incredibly important.
Tori I just finished this book and read She Said last month. I am glad I didn't pass this one up since they do cover the same topic. They are written so differently and cover the topic from vastly different viewpoints. You should definitely read both.
Sam Edwards I've read both and its a brutal journey.
Laura I've read both--"Catch and Kill" second--and am glad I did. I much preferred the writing in "Catch and Kill"--more personal, funny, insightful, and a single voice (vs the two reportorial voices of She Said). I found chilling NBC's slow-but-sure shutdown of Farrow's reporting and The New Yorker's intrepid and ethical team effort heartening. Both books are pageturners, with Farrow's being more propulsive and interesting. I'm telling everyone to read it.
Carol Schaal Thank you for your reply. I've read She Said, which I thought was excellent, and now Farrow's book is on my to-read list.
Haley I, like most others answering this question, highly recommend reading both. I read She Said first, and was very glad I did, as it laid the groundwork for the story, and went into a bit more detail about the women and their stories. It also set the stage for the environment at Weinstein's company, and did a better job of highlighting just how villainous a role Lisa Bloom played (is there anything worse than a wolf in sheep's clothing?!). There were many times while reading Catch and Kill that I was glad for the extra background/context from having read She Said.

I really appreciated that Ronan gave so much insight into the systemic issues that have allowed this type of behavior to flourish in our society. I admire that he pulled no punches in naming names, and I sincerely hope that there will be repercussions for the many he called out as being complicit in facilitating and/or covering up the abuse. This has got to stop, and I hope these two books help inspire change.

To the brave women (men too!) who risked everything by speaking out, thank you.
Wendalina I just read She Said by Kantor and Twohey and am hungry to read Ronan Farrow's book. Thanks for the replies on this question.
Melanie Cohen Finished "She Said" a week ago and now reading "Catch and Kill." I really liked "She Said" and am not enjoying "Catch and Kill." Farrow comes across as privileged and self-involved, and he seems more interested in making the book about himself than about the story. "She Said" really kept the authors' personal details to what was necessary to aid the story and was written more journalistically. "Catch and Kill" is much more grabby and somewhat sensationalized. (Can you tell I wouldn't recommend the second one?)
Kayne Yes, definitely read both. Incredible stories.
Patti Zerbe Both are relevant. Read both.
Jean Kroeber I'd just like to thank all of you for your precise answers. Because of you, I shall read both of these books, which were really not on my radar screen until now. Thanks.
Mohammad Yazdani please describe more.
Elizabeth *She Said* is written in the third person which is super annoying. After reading *Catch and Kill* this is sooo boring. Even the chapter titles are tedious such as chapter 4: Positive Reputation Management. Finally picks up in chapter 7 (out of 9). Half star for that. The other half star is for me for sticking it out. Read Ronan Farrow's book instead.
Lorraine Bell Have you listened to Ronan's podcast of the same name?
Image for Catch and Kill