Lisa Nienhaus
Lisa Nienhaus asked Diane Chamberlain:

Where do you get the inspiration for story lines in your books? And how long does an idea have to perculate in your head before it evolves into a story line for a book?

Diane Chamberlain When I'm ready to think about a new story, I open myself up to the universe. I read newspapers, listen in on conversations, and generally become a sponge until I find something that clicks with me. Percolation takes a long time for me! A looooong time. It's usually months before I feel as though I'm ready to commit to the idea and then I begin outlining. One exception is Necessary Lies. I wanted to write that book for years before I did, and I had a pretty good idea right off the bat for how to tell the story. But that is rare.
Diane Chamberlain