Bernie Brown
Bernie Brown asked Diane Chamberlain:

Hi, Diane! I know that, as a writer, you outline and plan your books before you write them. As you are making the outline, do the ideas come to you "in order'' or do you plan different parts of the book separately, and then put them in order? Thank you.

Diane Chamberlain Oh, I wish ideas came to me "in order"! It would make writing so much simpler. Usually the ideas for scenes and characters come in random snippets, so what I do is jot down each of them on an index card. When I have a stack of cards, I sit down at a giant planning board and begin to make some order out of them. To be honest, no matter how carefully I outline, once the characters are on the page they inevitably shove the outline aside and do their own thing. I love when that happens, though. It feels as though we're all working together, my fictional people and me.
Diane Chamberlain