Goodreads asked Raissa Rivera Falgui:

Raissa Rivera Falgui My husband and I were the main inspiration for Love Among the Geeks! We are terribly analytical about love, yet very romantic all the same. I thought that a biologist would be even more analytical but less romantic, and despite his feelings be determined to reduce love to a hormonal reaction.

I've had the idea for this book for a while, really. It was originally supposed to be YA and start with the weird hotel room scene, but I didn't know where to take it from there. Then I got an idea for another story from an account in the Reader's Digest about a woman who got married just so her mother, who had terminal cancer, "could see her in a wedding dress." She immediately annulled the marriage. I thought a lot about that, because in my country, getting married and annulled are a lot more difficult than in the US, where that woman was from. Somehow the two story ideas ended up together. Clearly they--like the characters inspired by them--were meant for each other!