Goodreads asked Adam Bender:

Adam Bender My two novels We, The Watched and Divided We Fall came from my feeling somewhat helpless in the wake of 9/11 as the US government passed a series of national security laws to increase surveillance called the PATRIOT Act.

I was fascinated not only by the surveillance itself, but the rationale for it. Everyone was feeling pretty vulnerable and so it was hard not to accept anything that was pitched as preventing another terrorist attack. Besides, how could anyone be against something called the PATRIOT Act?

With Divided We Fall, my most recent book, I wanted to set a love story against this backdrop. The story follows two government agents who were romantically involved but have fallen apart after one changes his beliefs and turns against the government. I liked the idea of having a double conflict -- the love story and the broader political conflict over surveillance.