Do you need to read Garden Spells before this one? Or does it just include the same characters? I haven't read Garden Spells yet and would like to know if this is a book that you need to read second or if it can be read as a stand alone. Thanks for your help!!

To answer questions about First Frost, please sign up.
Kelsey You can TOTALLY read First Frost without reading Garden Spells. It's the same world and some of the same characters, but a totally new story. Sarah does a wonderful job returning to this beautiful setting without alienating people who haven't read Garden Spells. Our office is divided, some had read Garden Spells and some hadn't and we all loved First Frost equally!
Ginger You will not regret reading Garden Spells. My first SAA book and always my favorite!
Beth I would definitely read Garden Spells first because I love to know the back story when reading sequels as it helps me to understand the characters better.
Michele If you have the time, I would recommend reading Garden Spells first, but if, like me, you read it years ago I don't think a re-read is necessary. I'm finding the stories and characters are jogging my memory just enough.
Suz I didn't realize until I finished it that it was a sequel of sorts of Garden Spells. It stands very well on its own. But as one other reader said, there is no downside to reading Garden Spells. Simply an enchanting book!
Aleta Klein No, you do not need to read "Garden Spells" first. The Author does a small recap of each character when she introduces each one😊 However , "Garden Spells" is a very good book and I recommend reading it.
Amanda Hill I read 4 chapters of First Frost before realizing that there's a book before it. I had no clue and haven't had any issues understanding it.
Denise I'm reading First Frost now and have never read Garden Spells. I don't feel lost so far...
Kristin I was wondering the same thing
Kristen I would, just because it's an enjoyable read.
Jean Cole Recommend reading Garden Spells first. It gives you the backstory and when you read this one you'll already know (and love) these characters.
Linda I did not read Garden Spells and this one worked out just fine.
April I feel like if you know there is a "book 1" about the same characters (with such good reviews) why wouldn't you read it first? In fact, I am re-reading Garden Spells right now before I start First Frost :)
Image for First Frost
by Sarah Addison Allen (Goodreads Author)