Goodreads asked Sara Jayne Townsend:

Sara Jayne Townsend Read other authors, good and bad, and learn how you can improve. Sometimes even a badly written book can teach you where you might be going wrong.

Apply backside to chair. A lot of people say, "I'd be a writer if only I had the time." But the reality is we all have the same number of hours in a day - it's what you do with them that counts. Make time to write. This might mean sacrificing something else - TV time, gardening time, sleep (in my case) - but you have to decide where your writing time will be, and protect it.

And finally, be persistent and develop a thick skin. Most writers collect a lot of rejections before the acceptance comes. Don't let it get to you. Pick yourself up, brush yourself off and send the manuscript out again. Eventually, that acceptance will come.