Andrew
Andrew asked:

Appropriate for a 15-year-old? How much sexual content/violence?

To answer questions about Midnight's Children, please sign up.
Anna This is a slow, intense, complex novel, and even though I always read at a pretty high level, I do not think I could have handled this book at 15. It's not inappropriate because of sexual content or violence, but because I think you have to have read a little more and been challenged by reading a little more before you can really dive into and appreciate it.
Jade Heslin If I had read this at 15, I think it would have put me off reading for life. Not because of sexual/violent content but just because I found it so boring and long-winded.
The only controversial subject matter in it is the main character's incestuous thoughts over his mother and sister... Which is pretty grim.
Anwesh I read this at 14 and loved it, but I am not sure if other 14 year olds will like it. It depends on the reader
Greg My parents allowed me to read anything, so by age 15 I had read "Ulysses" and other difficult books. I didn't get much of it then, but I think if a 15 y/o is reading adult books, then it's fine. There is sexual content and violence, but nothing more than what is on prime time TV these days.
Caitlin Brady I think I read this book in high school... I remember loving it.
Nirjhor Barua It would be fine. If the 15 year old has patience, he or she can.

I was 16, I think, when I read it. But beware, it is dense, long and hard to crack.
15 year olds have already been exposed to enough sex and violence, this book has nothing that would surprise a 15 year old, except incest-hinting of-course.
Image for Midnight's Children