Goodreads asked Jaye Em Edgecliff:

Jaye Em Edgecliff Generally, I get my ideas from the voices in my head. Seriously, I just write. I may be given the germ of inspiration from something I read or see, even sometimes by something else I'm writing. It might be a joke someone makes, or … anything.

I've seen many of my favourite authors answer this questions with variations on "from life", and I think it's a good answer. It doesn't matter if you're Edgar Rice Burroughs writing Princess of Mars or Laura Wilder writing Little House in the Big Woods, some collection of experiences in your life inspired the story. If you can pin it down to just one thing, you may want to read your work carefully and ask yourself "is this a bit flat?"