Lala
Lala asked Nancy Springer:

It's very unique how The Golden Swan is a sequel to both The Black Beast and the Books of Isle. Was this your intention all along? Or was there another reason for combining two different worlds?

Nancy Springer Lala, those books were my first floundering efforts, and I assure you there was no master plan. I wrote The Black Beast when I thought I was done with Isle, and I made Vale the reverse of Isle, much the same shape but surrounded by mountains instead of ocean, and kind of shadowed. Being able to combine the two worlds in the next book was a lucky fluke, an inspiration. It's been almost forty years since I wrote those books, so it's hard to remember how much of the process was conscious and how much was unconscious, but I'm pretty sure reasoning or planning did not have much to do with it.