Goodreads asked Clarissa O. Clemens:

Clarissa O. Clemens Just being alive and being introspective inspires me to put "pen to paper". A vivid imagination and the ability to verbalize what is twirling in my head motivates me to compose the poetry that you may have read of mine. Another key ingredient for me when I am sitting down at the computer with purposeful intent to write (versus the stuff that comes to me anytime and anywhere) is to have great instrumental background music. Depending on my mood and the genre of writing that I am doing influences what I chose to pull up from my itunes library. I can't have music with lyrics playing because it is too distracting.

Another tool I use to get inspiration is to look through stock photography online. Seeing a provocative image will usually get the lines flowing.