Ron Cassady
Ron Cassady asked:

So, what really happened to the diamond? Was it answered and I missed it, or was it left up to the reader to guess?

To answer questions about All the Light We Cannot See, please sign up.
Claudia Clark The fact that Werner throws the diamond into the sea after he retrieves the house in the grotto ties the beginning and the ending chapters of the novel together. The storyteller in the museum quotes the priest after he tells the story of the prince and the diamond: "But if the keeper threw the diamond into the sea, thereby delivering it to its rightful recipient, the goddess would lift the curse." Werner is the one who lifts the curse. And the people he cared for - Marie-Laure, his sister Jutta, Volkheimer - all survive, but he is being killed because the stone does not protect him anymore. So in a way, his death has some meaning.
Janice Kohl Werner retrieved he house but threw the diamond in to the sea. He replaced it with the silver key because as the diamond and the key were symbolic so he showed that what the key symbolized was more important to him (and more important to the author of the story). I felt that it was symbolic of his finding what really mattered in his relationship with Marie-Laure - kindness, caring for one another and that one small act of helping her and her helping him was more important than all the horrible crisis going on around them and what really mattered. The only sanity left.
Tara On Page 520, Doerr describes the Sea of Flames. I believe that Marie-Laure placed the diamond among the other stones and snails in that alleyway she frequented. That way no one would have the stone, therefore no one's loved ones would be hurt. The world and the lives of the people would remain ordinary. Happiness and safety did not lie in the diamond itself. I believe that Marie-Laure always had luck. I think her father left the diamond with Marie-Laure so that she could come to the realization that she could surmount all obstacles on her own. She could survive the war just by her own free will.
Barbara
Linda
Carolyn Am I the only one who found the story line about the diamond unnecessary to the book?
Debra Hale-Shelton I loved the book. I"m not sure what happened to the diamond. In the end, I honestly didn't care that much. I was far more interested in the people than in their possessions. I don't know what Doerr intended, but that's how the story affected me. I wept in the book's final chapters. The war, men, were so cruel. So very many people suffered, some still.
Valerie
Maureen Gollob She placed the house in with the snails to eventually go back to the sea. Werner disposed of it in the ocean, but saved the house and the key.
Roseline
Kevin St Mary I do not believe that Werner threw the diamond in the sea. He removed it from the house and left it in the grotto. The key in the house was symbolic of what the Paris Museum did to the diamond when they had possession. They kept it under lock and key! The grotto was a fitting place for anything so cursed and unlikely to be found by any man. The gate on the grotto was described as very secure even to keep a German Sergeant Major from entering!
Gail Poag Smith
amaya
Rhonda I've finally read this beautifully haunting book and it left me wondering what happened to the Sea of Flames diamond as well. Werner went back to the grotto after he watched Marie-Laure walk into the distance with her white pillowcase held high. It sounded like a literal release of her time in hiding, a mental release of his military suppression, and finally an unassuming release of the stones' hold on her father by Werner's act of honor of placing the left-behind stone back in the ocean based on Marie-Laure asking confirmation the little house was, in fact, in the ocean. The grotto was used in years past to contain the large breed of dogs that would be released at night to protect the city. By "luck, good or bad" the choice to release the stone in the grotto, returning to the earth and water, satisfied what curse there may be and possibly replace the gatekeeper/bull mastiff dogs that once protected the city, the stones new keeper.
Sue Fox
Cinda MacKinnon It was easy to miss because it was only a line near the end. I had to go back and find it!
Carol Young Why did Doerr prefer flashbacks to chronological events
Taffy
Jennifer Gorman someone please remind me the importance of the key...just don't remember..
Nandhitha
John Hawkins
Image for All the Light We Cannot See
by Anthony Doerr (Goodreads Author)