Goodreads asked Robert Brightwell:

What’s the best thing about being a writer?

Robert Brightwell Researching forgotten heroes and events and bringing them back to life in my books. While my books have a fictional central character most of the people he meets and events he sees really happened. I think that there has never been a better time to write about the Napoleonic era as you benefit from two advances in technology. In the early 1800s the industrial revolution was in full swing and that meant more books being printed. Instead of just hearing about the commanding generals, junior officers and even common soldiers published their first-hand accounts of astonishing events.
Since then most of those books became lost or out of print, but now with the internet age you can find rare copies and long-forgotten archive material. Much is available to view online and print on demand publishing has put many of these memoirs back in book form. Now is the perfect time to uncover a hero or a villain from that era!