Goodreads asked Helene Dunbar:

Helene Dunbar The heart, if you will, of What Remains was always the friendship between Cal, Spencer, and Lizzie. When I first drafted this back in 2010, I was reading a lot of YA about romance, but not enough about the intense bond you have with your friends when you're in high school and college. So many of my closest friends are the people I met during that time and I wanted to capture the love and bond that comes from friendships formed during those important years.

The premise, which hinges on cellular memory, guilt, love, confusion, and really trying to figure out who you are and what it is exactly that defines a person, is something I've always been interested in.