Goodreads asked Julian Boote:

Julian Boote My first novel, "EXIT" - an urban crime survivalist revenge thriller (quite a mouthful, when trying to say that aloud) - didn't come as one idea per se, but as an evolving situation, merged with another idea. But if we're going to talk about a "click" moment, when the lightbulb winks on and you go, "Woa! I like that!", then I'd have to say it was at a party, and listening to a comment a friend made.

I'd been a developing a short film script at the time, wherein a pair of crooks are cornered in a shop by murderous vigilantes. It was okay. But my friend at this party that night just happened to mention that there was an old cold war nuclear bunker under the town he lived in. And it was a lightbulb moment. Instantly I could see the short script scenario being attached to the bunker, into which the crooks flee only to find themselves lost within a larger trap. And with that I could better explore the question I ask in the story; what actions makes the good guys bad, and the bad guys good? How black and white is such a situation, or do such distinctions blur in such situations? It gave me a larger canvas on which to paint that, and the other themes of what it means to be forgiven and to find redemption.

In case you're wondering, "EXIT" is now available in ebook form on Amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VELDYIE

or Amazon.com:

http://amzn.com/B00VELDYIE

It's also going to be available as a paperback soon too.

But it's funny, in a curious way, I mean, that overhearing or seeing even the most innocuous of things, while your writer's mind is open and receptive to input, can give your creativity the charge it needs for the "Eureka!" moment.