Goodreads asked T.A. Walters:

T.A. Walters I am like an old muscle car. If I can get gas and lot's of it, I'm off to the races. Zig Ziglar (Inspirational motivator) says, "You are who you are. You are what you are because of what's gone into your head."

I get a lot of ideas by just my recreational pastime of reading fiction novels. That is my low to medium source of octane gas that fuels me. But I need more so I get out and go to work silently studying others. I watch people and they in turn craft my characters in a quirky way. I have to supply the personality of course and above all know one important thing:

No one dares make a move unless there is something in it for them. The entire universe is constructed this way. A bird doesn't drop from a tree to the ground, unless there is something in it for the bird (and acorn perhaps?). Think about that for a moment. Can you describe why a fashionable lady of desire had a hidden penchant for lighting fires and burning things. She does this against all laws of nature that I have described. The reader has a primal sense to know this, but at the same time-cannot reason it without you developing her character.

Getting the idea for my most recent book came out of a world of the many mysteries associated with Florida folklore. For instance, there was a man wanted for the murder of a notorious wild west bandit known as Belle Starr. Just so happened that the man who murdered her fled to the lawless regions of Southwest Florida. His name was Edgar J. Watson. The man really made an impact in the sugar producer's industry and actually built an island plantation.

Based on historical accounts, I constructed a fiction story that focused on day to day life. When it came to Edgar and his wife Rose and how he handled the business of running a plantation, to helping out around the house, you can't help but wonder what would you have them do next?

Soon the characters took over and I was amazed at that. They brought the ending to a historical close but at the same time left avenues open for the next story.

Didn't know it at the time of writing this short story that it would end up being a lead-in to a novel length book. So develop you characters, study them and allow them to 'show' not 'tell' and soon you will be following them around.