Goodreads asked Alejandra Díaz Mattoni:

Alejandra Díaz Mattoni In early 2013 I was driving down to Santa Barbara and remembered a conversation my parents had at the breakfast table when I was about seven or eight. (For the record, I'm not sure if I am remembering something that actually happened, or if it was a dream.)

My parents, from what I recall, were discussing a man who had paid a gambling debt with his daughter. I didn't understand what that meant at the time, but I knew it was bad from the tone in their voices.

As an adult women remembering this conversation, the implications horrified and fascinated me. And then I began to think. What if what I'm remembering is true? And, if she did come back, what would happen?

I would think about this every night as I lay in bed and soon I had a clear idea of who she was.

And from then on, I had to write her story.