Goodreads asked Alexi Lawless:

Alexi Lawless Honestly, self-publishing is so easy these days, there’s no reason not to sit down and see what you can produce. There are a few things you need to seriously consider before you begin:

*You Will Need an Editor* Don’t even THINK about producing something without a professional’s help. If you’re an avid reader, you know there’s nothing more irritating, unprofessional and off-putting as a badly edited manuscript. A good editor can cost anywhere from $500 to $2,000 in my experience and you’ll need to bake in time for the back and forth of the developmental edit, copy edit and final proof reading process. You can find a great list of editors at Duolit.

*You Will Need a Formatter* You’d think this is easier but it’s surprisingly difficult to get all the ePublishing and Print-On-Demand formatting done. And unless you’re highly technical, it’s worth the relatively inexpensive cost to outsource this to professionals who are incredibly responsive and quick on the turnaround. I work with Paul Salvette at BB eBooks. He’s amazing. Completely worth all the time I saved not worrying about this.

*You will Need a SOLID Book Cover* Fork out the cash to get a quality book cover design. You can crowdsource it or hire a designer based off of another cover you really like, but either way, you should absolutely spend the time and money to get this right because let’s not kid ourselves--Everyone judges a book by its cover.

If you’re an amateur writer or just thinking about the process, I’ve also published the LAWLESS Rules of Writing Like a Boss (http://alexilawless.com/lawless-rules...) based on the learnings from my own experience with this process. Hope this helps encourage you to take the leap and do it!