A Goodreads user asked Mary L. Tabor:

What in life do you fear, Mary? What can't you help but love?

Mary L. Tabor On fear: I am on alert for the conclusion that I have with age achieved wisdom. As, T.S. Eliot reminds us in “East Coker” of The Four Quartets, and as I quote him, with, not-so-by-the-way, the paid permission, in chapter 18 “Something Old for Something New” of (Re)Making Love:

Do not let me hear
Of the wisdom of old men, but rather of their folly,
Their fear and frenzy, their fear of possession,
Of belonging to another, or to others, or to God.
The only wisdom we acquire
Is the wisdom of humility: humility is endless.

On “can’t help but love”: I fall in love with writers who take a risk on the page and bare the soul by asking the probing questions of existence.

I am hooked the way I’m hooked on Job in the Bible, Sophocles’ Oedipus Rex and Shakespeare’s King Lear.

I look for writers who search without the knowledge that they know. My reading list here on Goodreads reveals.

Here’s what I mean: Good writing, powerful thought reveal the extraordinary unity in man’s questionings throughout time and the unique ways in which he has attempted to answer the unanswerable.

Job on the ash heap cries out for a rationale for his punishment. Oedipus is caught in a world that he attempts to understand and control, but is doomed inevitably powerless. Lear in his madness cries, “Is man no more than this?”

From my reading, from my teaching, and from the struggles I face in my own writing, I learn, I search, I question, I try to understand—and, you can bet on it, the best of all, to fall in love again.

Love is the answer. Now, what was the question?