Goodreads asked Neil Port:

Neil Port Thanks for the question. I am new to goodreads and didn't know to switch on the questions to the author.
The books are in a series and I started writing book 1 on a tour of Turkey, it has a fascinating history and I have always loved ancient history. So ancient Turkey became the rich background to book 1.
I have had a very long standing interest in Buddhism and Chinese Martial arts and from that came the Shayvist monks and their religion.
And who can resist the romantic vision of a desert tribesman? Hence Hakeem. Jacinta and Elana came somewhere out of my head. I hope you love and enjoy my characters as much as I enjoyed writing them.
Once I had the characters and the setting, the book started writing itself.

The idea of the High Elves fading and losing their magic came from Tolkien. My books take up that story when they have lost much of their magic, they are still a wonderful people but they are faced with final extinction. Overwhelming numbers and devastating dark magic is unleashed on them in book 3 .