Yolanda
Yolanda asked:

Where did the saying come from: "When you want something the whole universe will conspire together to help you get it?"

To answer questions about The Alchemist, please sign up.
Huda Aweys It is not a new word, that Muslims have a verse in the Quran says that God created human to beings his successors in the land and make everything on the ground to obey us
Juveria Its common sense to ask oneself, which came first? Om Shanti Om (2007) or The Alchemist (1988). Any one in their right mind would say the proper answer. It's a summary of a verse from the Qu'ran.
Le Petite Beauvoir There's a Ralph Waldo Emerson quote too. "Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
Ishita I read this saying in the book"The Alchemist" by "Paulo Coelho". But I believe that it may be from a holy book like the Quran or something.........
Bryan You can attribute it to Paulo Coelho.
Anand Krishna It is from The Secret book.
Virginia Hoyt Dear Yolanda,
Long ago I learned this paragraph as from Goethe; however, when I checked online just now, I learned these lines are misattributed to Goethe, instead from a mountaineering book by William Hutchininson Murray (1913-1996).
Here's the quote, with a link to my source:

“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.”

https://www.thoughtco.com/goethe-quot...
Dawnstream It's a very old and common idea. You may have heard "Ask and ye shall receive" or my favorite "If you build it, they will come." I think Ralph Waldo Emerson came up with that particular phrasing of the idea, but I'm probably wrong.
Oms1257 It came from common sense :P
Diana Sandberg From the mouths of the privileged. It allows those who have to imagine they somehow deserved it by their own faith, and allows all the starving and damaged people to be dismissed as not "wanting" enough.
blereader I agree with the comments that the idea can be found in many places, but as far as the New Testament (which, as far as I can tell, seems to be a source of inspiration for the book), there's Matthew 7:9-11 and Luke 11:5-13 (God gives to those who ask).
Greggy Jane from the book entitled "Secret" by Rhonda Byrne
Seeny shubham is right its from om shanti om
Satyendra Kumar I guess it came from Law Of Attraction
Helene It was also in Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich.
Rakesh Tiwari In my opinion its a very ancient saying you can read it in Great Geeta and Holy Kuran and other religious books because this line motivate every lost people to start again and work hard !
Anil Kumar It is a Psychological Fact you can test it yourself when you have the same thing running in your mind for a long time, the whole world seems like helping you.
April I think many cultures in this world have same/similar belief of this. I believe this as well.
Andreas Spaeth The same place that "Be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it" comes from. Universal truths transcend time and space, existing long before clumsy language and writing tried to manifest them. It does not matter if you find it in a romance novel or a sacred text, it only matters if it vibrates within the core of who you are.
Michele Om Shanti Om (2007)
Ubi Bhatt Yolanda, unfortunately author of this book used lots of Indian philosophies. This lines were spoken by Indian Monk in his inspirational speech. But as usual, Indians are never given their part of credit :)
Swathi Konath It was around for so many decades... But Paulo Coelho popularized it....
Aakash It is known forever.
JaeHee coincidentally, there is a similar saying in korean ;3
Powell Omondi it is written, seems it is a long phrase that was invented by the ancestors to make everything seem to us to come from God
Hend Noda
it was just an expression had idea behind it ,which is "your fath in God"
that make you believed that
Tolia Cmkm read from the alchemist
Akash Kaul They are just good words put together that touch our hearts - because we want to believe in it ! ! !
Gary The preacher trained in all to lose his name;
The teacher travels, asking to be shown the same.
In the end, we'll agree, we'll accept that seeking the beautiful Universe is the supreme quest. All in all true beauty is only waiting to be discovered, it has been here along. If it is pure spirit you seek follow the omens and listen to your heart. The Universe will open to those who will be tested and challenged. Success is the lessons learned on the path to beauty. The answer is the emerald tablet.
Emilio Me "Combining magic, mysticism, wisdom and wonder into an inspiring tale of self-discovery, The Alchemist has become a modern classic, selling millions of copies around the world and transforming the lives of countless readers across generations." Get it from here!
Shehzad Aslam Bollywood has cheated this quote from the book, ''The Alchemist;
Prerana It is a very famous quote from movies and books that often authors try to inculcate into the readers.
Mijanur Rahman It is well described in the story. First, it seed to me as controversial as well but as i went through the story, i'm convinced. Yes, of-course, "When you want something the whole universe will conspire together to help you get it?"
Image for The Alchemist
by Paulo Coelho (Goodreads Author)