Yolanda
Yolanda asked:

Where did the saying come from: "When you want something the whole universe will conspire together to help you get it?"

To answer questions about The Alchemist, please sign up.
Huda Aweys It is not a new word, that Muslims have a verse in the Quran says that God created human to beings his successors in the land and make everything on the ground to obey us
Juveria Its common sense to ask oneself, which came first? Om Shanti Om (2007) or The Alchemist (1988). Any one in their right mind would say the proper answer. It's a summary of a verse from the Qu'ran.
Le Petite Beauvoir There's a Ralph Waldo Emerson quote too. "Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
Ishita I read this saying in the book"The Alchemist" by "Paulo Coelho". But I believe that it may be from a holy book like the Quran or something.........
Virginia Hoyt Dear Yolanda,
Long ago I learned this paragraph as from Goethe; however, when I checked online just now, I learned these lines are misattributed to Goethe, instead from a mountaineering book by William Hutchininson Murray (1913-1996).
Here's the quote, with a link to my source:

“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.”

https://www.thoughtco.com/goethe-quot...
Diana Sandberg From the mouths of the privileged. It allows those who have to imagine they somehow deserved it by their own faith, and allows all the starving and damaged people to be dismissed as not "wanting" enough.
Bryan You can attribute it to Paulo Coelho.
Anand Krishna It is from The Secret book.
blereader I agree with the comments that the idea can be found in many places, but as far as the New Testament (which, as far as I can tell, seems to be a source of inspiration for the book), there's Matthew 7:9-11 and Luke 11:5-13 (God gives to those who ask).
Dawnstream It's a very old and common idea. You may have heard "Ask and ye shall receive" or my favorite "If you build it, they will come." I think Ralph Waldo Emerson came up with that particular phrasing of the idea, but I'm probably wrong.
Oms1257 It came from common sense :P
Rakesh Tiwari In my opinion its a very ancient saying you can read it in Great Geeta and Holy Kuran and other religious books because this line motivate every lost people to start again and work hard !
Greggy Jane from the book entitled "Secret" by Rhonda Byrne
April I think many cultures in this world have same/similar belief of this. I believe this as well.
Seeny shubham is right its from om shanti om
Satyendra Kumar I guess it came from Law Of Attraction
Michele Om Shanti Om (2007)
Swathi Konath It was around for so many decades... But Paulo Coelho popularized it....
Helene It was also in Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich.
JaeHee coincidentally, there is a similar saying in korean ;3
Anil Kumar It is a Psychological Fact you can test it yourself when you have the same thing running in your mind for a long time, the whole world seems like helping you.
Sofía Contreras Me encanta la sabiduría,la filosofía y la psicología entre otras áreas.
Me considero una persona espiritual y según mi intuición, conocimiento y consciencia, ese dicho precisamente viene de la Espiritualidad,que significarìa lo mismo que el Universo o la Divinidad por ejemplo.
Ten fe en ti mismo y en tus capacidades.
Cuando actúas desde la bondad y la positividad,actúas de manera leal y honesta,
Al confiar en nostros mismos,tenemos fe en la Divinidad y estamos totalmente conscientes de que el milagro se realizará en el tiempo divino.
Así enfocamos toda la atención en lo que deseamos crear y todos somos almas y seres de luz,
todo aquello que manifestamos lo creamos y lo hacemos realidad.
Deseo haberte ayudado.
Andreas Spaeth The same place that "Be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it" comes from. Universal truths transcend time and space, existing long before clumsy language and writing tried to manifest them. It does not matter if you find it in a romance novel or a sacred text, it only matters if it vibrates within the core of who you are.
Tolia Cmkm read from the alchemist
Ubi Bhatt Yolanda, unfortunately author of this book used lots of Indian philosophies. This lines were spoken by Indian Monk in his inspirational speech. But as usual, Indians are never given their part of credit :)
Aakash It is known forever.
Shehzad Aslam Bollywood has cheated this quote from the book, ''The Alchemist;
Powell Omondi it is written, seems it is a long phrase that was invented by the ancestors to make everything seem to us to come from God
Hend Noda
it was just an expression had idea behind it ,which is "your fath in God"
that make you believed that
Akash Kaul They are just good words put together that touch our hearts - because we want to believe in it ! ! !
Gary The preacher trained in all to lose his name;
The teacher travels, asking to be shown the same.
In the end, we'll agree, we'll accept that seeking the beautiful Universe is the supreme quest. All in all true beauty is only waiting to be discovered, it has been here along. If it is pure spirit you seek follow the omens and listen to your heart. The Universe will open to those who will be tested and challenged. Success is the lessons learned on the path to beauty. The answer is the emerald tablet.
Prerana It is a very famous quote from movies and books that often authors try to inculcate into the readers.
Mijanur Rahman It is well described in the story. First, it seed to me as controversial as well but as i went through the story, i'm convinced. Yes, of-course, "When you want something the whole universe will conspire together to help you get it?"
Image for The Alchemist
by Paulo Coelho (Goodreads Author)