Goodreads asked Kathleen Flinn:

Kathleen Flinn Write every day. Join a professional organization that makes sense for your genre. In my case, I joined the International Assn of Culinary Professionals. I met loads of other food writers and those connections had major impact on my work and career. Go to conferences. Meet other writers and published authors. It's incredibly valuable as you're learn a lot about the industry and the learning curve on getting published will not feel as steep.

But seriously. Write every day. Read books in your genre to figure how they "work." Take writing classes. Writing is a craft that takes patience. And remember that everyone writes bad first drafts. Except maybe Frank Bruni of The New York Times. But really, everyone else does...