Reynee Rainey
Reynee Rainey asked:

Have not read the book yet. I just wanted to know if anyone here read the book SPECIFICALLY because Tom Hiddleston mentioned that it was one of his favorite books?

To answer questions about Any Human Heart, please sign up.
Kate Rice :-) laughing to see I'm not the only one.
Erin Parks TH's mention is originally what got me interested in the book. I was afraid I wouldn't like it, but I'm about 100 pages in, and I'm enjoying it. I was iffy until I saw the quote from Henry James at the beginning. I love James. And, I believe, the quote comes from The Portrait of a Lady (my favorite!).
KatForsyth Me too. I'm in the middle of it now (well, a quarter in). I'd seen William Boyd's books around, but I don't think I would have picked one up if it weren't for Tom's recommendation.
Michal This book is a hommage to life. Boyd is such a wonderful author.
Camille I have to admit, that's why I'm looking it up. It doesn't look like my particular cup of tea though, so I think I might pass on this one. I did read The Ego Trick by Julian Baggini per his recommendation, and I enjoyed it immensely!
Susan Zinner I just read this and did not see the Tom Hiddleston comment. This makes me like HIM more! Oh, and I loved the book, too!
Ninit Yes I do :) Now I'm waiting for my copy to arrive.
George How funny! Yes. I was watching The Night Manager (excellent) and I checked out Tom's imdb page. I had never heard of Any Human Heart so I was intrigued when he listed it as one of his favorite books. I downloaded it from the library and am quite engrossed.
jeniwren Reynee
I have just picked this up and LOVING IT. Very interesting structure with diary entries and real life characters are written into the narrative along with the fictional elements. It is one of those books I am thinking about all day and can't wait to get back to reading when I get into bed at night.
Yuting Yeah, I checked this book out because he mentioned it, haha. It is now on my to-read list. I hope I will enjoy it.
Kathleen Martin I read it because Boyd is such a great writer. I have read most of his books and enjoyed all. I like the humour buried in the storyline. His New Confessions used the same literary device of writing the character into history with real as well as fictional characters
Zuzana yes, it was best decision ever
Margaret1358 Joyce I've just finished reading it. It flows well, as Boyd's literary skill is prodigious. It's also fascinating for its massive volume of detail re the writers and artists defined, through the lens of the protagonist's encounters with them. The device of the 'daily journal entries' of the main character, however, handcuffs the content to a flat, cataloguing of events, pre-empting the possibility for character development or creative vision other than the purely naturalistic recounting of things. An odd book, in that sense.
Laura Vazquez yes. god, yes <3
Bev No. A friend bought it for me as a Christmas present in 2005. I read it then.
James Me. It's now on my Want to Read list.
Sherry That's why I'm going to read it!! Starting tonight!
Belle S. That is exactly why I am considering reading this book. If Tom loves it, I must give it a shot
Image for Any Human Heart