Goodreads asked Christy Heron:

Christy Heron You must, actually, love to write. You have to love to cry, be poor, be rejected over and over (which basically feels like breaking up with a really great boyfriend/girlfriend). You have to love paper cuts. Or at least be accepting of all of those things.
You must write. You mustn't say, "i'm going to write." You don't "say" anything. You just write.
As for being a "professional" writer, there is more to it.
You have to be realistic, resilient, pragmatic, a businessperson, and excellent at time management.
Oh yeah, and you have to have talent. (Talent, cannot be taught.)
In my case, being an artist prevents the previous labels existing in my brain.
So, for those of you who are aspiring, I pray you have a nice balance.
Train: take a class, learn the basics of storytelling, listen to some advice (moreover, google some advice) then break the rules into a million pieces. But not too much.
Practice.
As long as you have a compelling character, an understandable story, and some ingenuity, you're gonna be alright. Cheers.