Devatrisha
Devatrisha asked:

Which one is better : A Fine Balance or Such a Long Journey ?

To answer questions about Such a Long Journey, please sign up.
David Foster I'd have to say A Fine Balance was my first choice. Such a Long Journey touches several topics about India like Gustad's train ride to New Delhi and the pollution in the streets which brought back many memories for me. I was in Bombay for a week during the Pakistan war.
Jeanne Mixon I would argue that you should read both. They are very different books. A Fine Balance deals with the rigid social and religious hierarchies and endemic government corruption and the despair created by both. If you want to understand Modi, this is the place to start. A Fine Balance discusses more the rural communities and how they work and don't and the poor and the untouchables. Such a Long Journey is more about the urban middle class. Both are set in the time of Indira Gandhi. I mean, life is long and Such a Long Journey is a relatively quick read (and was shortlisted for the Man Booker prize as well) so why do you need to choose?
Spencer Hurley Fine Balance for me
Rembrandt A Fine Balance is much better.
Snezana R Fine Balance is better but honestly i loved them both.
Terry Dowd I agree that A Fine Balance is one of the best books I have ever read. Heartbreaking. I also liked Family Matters. Looking forward to reading Such a Long Journey.
Ian Webster a fine balance ,is one of the best books ive read ,i have nt read such a long journey but intend too .
shantaram is another great epic book .
would be great to get some reviews on such a long journey ?
Image for Such a Long Journey