Goodreads asked Charlene Carr:

What’s the best thing about being a writer?

Charlene Carr It's hard to say. There are a lot of hard days being a writer. There is a lot of self-doubt, a lot of fear, but then there's also a lot of joy, a lot of feeling like you're living out your purpose.

Since I was about four years old 'writer' has been one of my answers whenever people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. It took some winding roads to get here, to actually call myself a writer instead of someone who said she 'wanted' to be a writer, so doing what I've always wanted to do is pretty great, but it's not the best thing ... I became a writer because of how moved and changed I've been from other writers' words. So, I guess the best thing is when I see how my words have moved and changed others - yeah. That's it. That's the best thing!