Goodreads asked Rachel L. Demeter:

Rachel L. Demeter The Frost of Springtime emerged from my love of French history and edgy, unconventional romances. I have always been drawn to the darker facets of love, and this served as a central inspiration for the characters and storyline.

I had yearned to create a pair of star-crossed lovers whose deep affection for each other could triumph over seemingly impossible odds. Aleksender and Sofia are two flawed characters who are made perfect only through their love.

Nineteenth century France has always been a passion of mine, and, after some research, I quickly knew it would be the ideal setting for Aleksender and Sofia. It was a time of conflict, political intrigue, art, and romance. I grew up on Paris-set musicals, such as Les Misérables and The Phantom of the Opera—and they continue to inspire my imagination and characters. After researching the 1871 Paris Commune, I molded the era into a dynamic backdrop for Aleksender and Sofia’s love story to unfold. In the process, I learned more than I ever could’ve imagined about the period. Quite simply, I fell head over heels in love with France. ♥