Karen
Karen asked:

I'm always looking for books to read with my daughter. She's 8 - but has mature taste - we've done all the Harry Potters and she loved them. Is this too old for her?

To answer questions about The Night Circus, please sign up.
Heath Chronicles of Narnia!
Karl The word 'fuck' is used in the first few pages. 'Slut' and 'whore' also get thrown around later on (directed at one of the protagonists by her psychotically abusive father). There is overt child abuse, a nonsensical murder and, yes, as other reviewers have said, there is a tame and passionless implied sex scene.
It's also an insipid and laboriously tedious novel. Your daughter will probably be bored to sleep.
Try Golden Compass by Philip Pullman or Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle.
Margaret Christison Hi Karen- I think it would be a shame to read it at eight. I think she would love it more later on. I agree that Diana Wynne Jones is the way to go .'Hotter than Potter!' There is a feast in store if you haven't discovered her yet.
Angela NOT for young children, no matter their "maturity". Try Nevermoor by Jessica Townsend.
MV Ever read The Graveyard Book or Coraline by Neil Gaiman? Those are wonderful children's books, and are smart enough for adults to enjoy. I have read The Graveyard Book 8 times since I got my copy at age 12.
Becca I am sorry that this does not regard The Night Circus( which is a wonderful book by the way) I just have recommendation for your daughter. The Land of Stories series. I wouldn't say it is very mature but it has magic and a young girl is one of the main characters. (12,13... she grows up throughout the books) If your daughter likes fairy tales this series would be perfect. The first book is called The Wishing Spell. She may not like but I feel that it is worth looking in to. :)
Lia Jackson I read Harry Potter at the same age but that doesn’t necessarily mean she’s ready for YAesq books. I recommend school for good and evil if you think she’s mature enough for that sereis
Victoria Falzo If I remember correctly, there is a sex scene....
Elise Nicole Ummm there's some implied sex. And the circus is dark but no more so than Harry Potter.
Lisa There is nothing inherently inappropriate for an 8 year old (possibly 9 at this point? Late answer; but someone else might be wondering)
However...there are challenging vocabulary words and I think the complexity of the text itself might be advanced for her maturity level. I'd save this for a few years.
Maybe try Robin McKinley, or Jessica Day George for fantasy. Oracles of Delphi for adventure/fantasy.
Niko The Phantom Tollbooth is another great option. I would not recommend this book.
Charles I think there is too much adult language for it to be completely age appropriate, and there is a sex scene that is one step further from simply hinting at things, but not pornographic. This is definitely a book that's worth reading and she'll probably love it when she's older, but lots of people have already said this and given more child friendly alternatives.
DJ This may be a dumb question, but what is a YA book?
Fiesty Fangirl DEFINITELY NOT. Even though she has a mature taste, this book should be saved for later. The story isn't that "adult", as there is just one swear (I think), but it is complex and since I don't know your daughter personally, I don't know if she's ready to keep track of everything that happens in the book (there are a LOT of things).
Elizabeth All young people who liked Harry Potter should read Tamora Pierce. At least the Circle of Magic series.
Anna Smith Probably. I've read it at 13 and some of the writing was a bit hard to understand. I would recommend a book like Miss Peregrines home for Peculiar Children or possibly I am number Four (She may be a bit young for that though).
Ryu As others have mentioned, this book would be more suitable when she's a teen. This book is incredible, though, and it would be good to introduce this to her when she's older. For the time being, try out the Chrestomanci series, Howl's Moving Castle, and especially The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making.
Melliott A good next step might be Cornelia Funke's books--The Inkheart series, The Thief Lord. The Mirrorworld books are a little too mature--we read them with our 6+7 grade book club and found them more sophisticated than those kids (at ages 11-12) were capable of. But the others are a definite yes. I also agree that Diana Wynne Jones is a great idea, and also there is Frances Hardinge, whose book Fly by Night was delightful.
Zion What happens in page 1-170 please help me?
Mommooshka If your daughter enjoyed Harry Potter, I believe she would be able to enjoy this book as well. Although it's magic is different than in the Harry stories, The Night Circus is similarly intricate, dark, magical, and rewarding.
Katie Lopez Lind Possibly too hard to follow for an 8 year old, as it jumps between times without clear indications of where/when you are reading. One recommendation I have for you is Blood Ties by Sophie McKenzie!
Becky I wouldn't recommend this for anyone, let alone an 8-year-old. If she liked Harry Potter, she would love the Chrestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones.
Hannah Don't know if you're still looking for an answer or made your decision, but there is more than kissing that occurs at one point if you catch my drift. Nothing graphic and who knows if she'll pick up on it. But if that's a point of concern for you, you might want to put it off a year or two.

Otherwise, go for it!
Ginny Hi Karen, our book club read this and without exception, we loved it. As your daughter has read all the Harry Potter books, she would probably enjoy it - perhaps not understand it completely, but enjoy it just the same. They say you can't judge a book by its cover, but when I saw how unusual, creative and beautiful the cover was, I couldn't wait to read The Night Circus and was captivated from cover to cover. Delightful!
Denise Alcaraz Hey Karen. I read this last year, I think. I was a little disappointed with it. But maybe that's just me. It had all the elements of mystery and fantasy, but it just didn't make me "believe", if you know what I mean. As for your daughter, she may enjoy it. How about "The Hunger Games" or "Divergent". Even my Husband loved HG. It good for young and mature alike.
Image for The Night Circus
by Erin Morgenstern (Goodreads Author)