Rakib_khan
Rakib_khan asked Michael J. Sullivan:

So what was more fun to write, science fiction (Hollow World) or fantasy (Riyiria series) may I ask? Are there any other genres that you are interested to write in the future?

Michael J. Sullivan Hey thanks for asking. I would love to write in other genres...and have quite a few ideas to do just that. I like being able to "mix it up" and try something new. Part of the what really made Hollow World so much fun was the ability to use modern references. It's so much easier to explain things when there is a common point of reference...such as M&M's or Animal Farm.

I can't really say that one was more fun than the other. Hollow World was a refreshing change of pace that helped invigorate me, but I find writing in Elan very effortless because I have such a wealth of information about that world (only a portion of which has been exposed).

Basically it seems that whatever I'm "currently writing" is my favorite but then after a long time in one, I like to try something else. My next series...The First Empire is fantasy, but because it is based so much further back in time there are a lot of technological aspects that I can't rely on...such as domesticated horses, knights, and swords. This made it an interesting challenge so while it is fantasy...I once again had even less "common" aspects to draw from our world. Fun stuff!