Kimberlie Trueblood
Kimberlie Trueblood asked Daniel Goleman:

What is the best way to teach children how to meditate? Do you recommend being part of a group, or learning at home?

Daniel Goleman Thank you for your question. This is a topic near and dear to my heart. Give children regular sessions of focusing time, the mental equivalent of workouts in the gym. Here's one approach that works wonders. I visited a classroom where a teacher organized a daily "breathing buddy" session. Each child lies on the floor, puts a small stuffed animal on their belly, and watches how it rises as they breath in, and falls as they breath out. They count one-two-three on the in breath and out breath. After just a few minutes of the exercise get up feeling calm and focused. For older children, they can use their hand instead of a stuffed animal. I also put together guided audio exercises for parents and teachers to use with kids and teens. Focus for Kids: Enhancing Concentration, Caring and Calm is available from morethansound.net. I also have a Focus for Teens CD, too.