Goodreads asked Suanne Laqueur:

Suanne Laqueur I wish I had paid more attention to this aspect of it. I can’t put my finger on exactly when, but the seeds of the storyline were born when I came across a YouTube video of Viviana Durante and Robert LaFosse. In it they are dancing the pas de deux “The Man I Love” from George Balanchine’s ballet Who Cares? Robert is blond and handsome and nothing like I picture Will Kaeger looking. However, Viviana is petite and dark-haired and just an exquisite dancer. I watched her in this video and she seemed to embody Daisy right away. And certainly the chemistry she has with Robert evokes the relationship Daisy has with her partner Will.

Anyway, I was watching the video one day and I came to the part where Viviana does this very difficult lift on Robert’s shoulder. And you can see, right around the 4:04 mark, that she overshoots the jump and she teeters on his shoulder. It’s this precarious three seconds where you can see Robert discreetly adjusting his weight and getting her back on balance. And something just popped in my head. I thought, "Something happens here." I don’t remember exactly when that thought morphed into "She gets shot there," but it did and I had my story. Soon after, I wrote the NPR Radio segment, creating the anniversary of a shooting incident at the fictitious Lancaster University, sketching out what had happened.