A Goodreads user asked Laurie Halse Anderson:

Hi Laurie! I am reading The Impossible Knife of Memory and really enjoying it. Are the characters in the book inspired by anyone you know in real life?

Laurie Halse Anderson The Impossible Knife of Memory is the most personal of all the books Ive written. My father was a WWII vet whose PTSD spiraled out of control when I was in middle school. He became suicidal, deeply depressed and alcoholic. Many of the complicated feelings Hayley has about her father in the book are what I went through as a teen.

The spark for the writing of the book, however, was the return home of my nephew from his tours in Afghanistan and Iraq. Watching his struggle to reintegrate into civilian life (and trying to make sense of the nightmare that is the Veteran's Administration) made me realize it was time to tell this story.