Goodreads asked Michael J. Sullivan:

Michael J. Sullivan I've never really experienced writer's block. I know other authors don't like hearing that, but it's true. For me, writing is one of my favorite things to do...so I awake each day excited to sit down and write. It's kind of like asking a child if they every have problems playing their favorite game.

There are times when when I have to work out issues with my plot, of course....but that's not the same as writer's block where you just have no ideas and stare blankly at a white sheet. What usually happens with me is I'm faced with several possibilities and I have to figure out which one is best.

When I'm working through a problem I usually go for a walk (someplace where there aren't other people - like in the woods near my home) and then I talk out loud to myself. I find that doing it aloud somehow engages a different part of my brain. I actually hold a two-way conversation with myself..."So tell me what this book is about." "Well it's about a guy who..." "So wha'ts the problem." "Well I want him to do xyz but I can't find the right motivations for him to do what I want." "Well what's he like? What's his background?"

As I go through this exercise I usually figure out what I need to do and then I'm back at the keyboard. Usually I'm "stuck" for only a few hours. In really bad times it might be a few days...but I'm still writing during then...but I realize I may have to go back and make some changes.