Joan
Joan asked Gayle Forman:

I noticed that the one common thing between Adam & Willem (besides both being ridiculously hot) is that they're stage performers: Adam being a musician while Willem's a theater actor. Was this something that you've planned from the beginning when you wrote them, or was it influenced by the fact that you are married to a musician, thus you have already an insight on what goes on in the lives of such characters?

Gayle Forman That's an interesting question and not a connection I made before because I've just been so focussed on how different Willem and Adam are. But you're right. And Ben, the guy in my upcoming novel I WAS HERE, also plays music (though it's not such a huge part of his identity the way music and acting are for Adam and Willem).

I'm not sure why. I'm drawn to performers, maybe? My husband is a very quiet and unassuming guy, but when I met him he was this blue-haired punk rock god. (Okay, maybe not a god, but he was a pretty big deal in our college town.) I like the dichotomy between guys who are down-to-earth and sweet but onstage have that charisma. A lot of performers are like that. Effacing in real life but on stage, something else. Maybe that's why I write them?