Abbey
Abbey asked:

Do i need to read the Giver before this book?

To answer questions about Gathering Blue, please sign up.
Bethany Yes you should, and you need to read Son last. You don't have to, but everything will make more sense.
Clara Baker Baldwin I haven't finished them all, but this is one series that I think should be read in order.
Liam Murray No; you can read the Giver Quartet in these orders:

1. The Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger, Son (all three parts)
2. Gathering Blue, The Giver, Messenger, Son (all three parts)
3. Son (part 1 "Before"), The Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger, Son (part 2 "Between"), Son (part 3 "Beyond")
4. Son (part 1 "Before"), Gathering Blue, The Giver, Messenger, Son (part 2 "Between"), Son (part 3 "Beyond")
5. The Giver, Son (part 1 "Before"), Gathering Blue, Messenger, Son (part 2 "Between"), Son (part 3 "Beyond")
Eloise I read gathering blue before reading the giver because I saw the movie. Even if I hadn't watched the movie it still would have made sense. But you shouldn't read son before the giver.
Judith I think that it makes most sense to read them in the order written - sometimes there are references to the other books (don't know if this is true in the series as I'm just starting the second book).
Steven I don't think so. While it takes place in the same era there is no other connection between the stories, yet. You will need to read The Giver before reading the next in the series for it all to make sense.
Image for Gathering Blue
by Lois Lowry (Goodreads Author)