Goodreads asked Robin Brande:

Robin Brande I get all my ideas from a combination of places: my own life, experiences my friends or family have had and told me about, things I've read in the newspaper or seen on TV, things I've read. I read a lot of science and adventure books--that's just what I'm interested in. I also do a lot of outdoor adventure myself, and I always get fresh ideas when I'm out backpacking in the wilderness for a few days.

A lot of my young adult books are based on experiences I had growing up. It's so much fun to include bits from my own life and then write better outcomes than I might have had myself! That's the beauty of being a writer: you get to retell your own story and make it better and more interesting.

My adult books are based on experiences I've had, too, for example my years being a lawyer.

The main thing is to pick topics that I know I'll be interested researching for as many months as I need to so I can write about them intelligently. If I'm not interested enough in a topic, I won't touch it. I need to have fun writing my own books!