Nisan Ahmado
Nisan Ahmado asked:

I believe I share the dream of talking cats with many in the world. And I love the original Kafka. This novel is making me read and when I don't I think about what will happen next! It is kinda my world that I love to dwell in. It also redefined the joy of reading to me. Silence and attachment.

To answer questions about Kafka on the Shore, please sign up.
Croatoan616 Right! That's what I felt, almost right away, MY world and I just want to read. Not even anticipating what's going to happen next, just let me read.
Abigail That is a great way of putting it: I don't need to know what happens next, I just need to exist in the world Murakami creates. It's a place to be.
Ak I agree! This book totally urged me to read more of his work and explore more of this genre. His writing is so serene to me.
Svetlana I was looking for a book that will make me feel different, here it is..! I would say i breathe through it.
Henry Fordney I think the talking to cats bit is one of the more compelling parts of the novel. I mean, it's quite silly but I think there is a longing in all of us to be able to communicate to animals and this is just an interesting "what if" territory to explore. I like how even though Nakata can speak to cats he has trouble understanding them and none of them really leave an impression on the reader. I mean, like Nakata they don't collect memory, so they are really only aware of what's currently happening to them and only of the most mundane bits of reality at that. But somehow they seem to get along happier in life in spite of/because of this.
Image for Kafka on the Shore