Janice
Janice asked:

As to the question...a world without religion or without science...I would live without religion

To answer questions about The Da Vinci Code, please sign up.
Lucas Drake You have to ask yourself what do you mean by science and what do you mean by religion. The definition for religion (from the dictionary app) is a particular philosophy of life or conception of the world, and the definition for science is observing the world around you and coming to conclusions based off of observations, experiments, and evidence. Now, I can't see how these two are opposites, can you? Why would one have to live with one and without the other? It seems to me that you cannot have one, without the other. How can someone observe the world around them and not come to hold any worldview (science with religion).
If you are using the common meaning of the word religion, theism (the belief that there is a god), then what makes theism and science opposites? You would be suggesting that people who do not have atheism (anti-theism) as their worldview are narrow-minded and, therefore; their worldview is illegitimate and not considered "science". The real question should be a world without theism, or a world without atheism (not "science" as you call it), or the question could be a world with science, or without it (obvious answer).
On another note, to the atheists reading who think that their belief is the only "science", you certainly have small grounds to stand upon. Based off of observation, experiments, and evidence, evolution and other atheist beliefs hold no ground. Specifically for evolution, there is no way to observe macroevolution (an animal evolving from one kind to another kind), as it would take too long. Your experiments that you use have failed through the centuries (experimenting with life from non-life, finding fossil evidence, etc.), so now atheists have created their own "experiments" which are rigged to give them what they want. For an example, what makes carbon dating so useful? Why have scientists suddenly used carbon dating? The method is highly unreliable and often dates things such as volcanic rock and recently dead plant material to be millions, or billions of years old.
Now to evidence. You would think that of all of the intermediate species, there would be at least a couple remaining fossils of a fish-human, or a frog-cat, but there isn't. Not even one! You can invent more evidence (conveniently weak, dissolving fossils theories for all of the intermediate links) for all of the inconsistencies, or you can throw away your bias and look at the real question: a world without atheism or without theism; a world without science or without non-science.
William James to me science always comes first, as all religion are just made up there is no god in any form
Coraline21 Why do the two needed to be divided? A person can rely on religion and at the same time on science. The key is balance. It is hard to balance between two things so different, but if examined carefully, one can find many parallels. It really depends on your own moral code and how you balance your reliance between both. Which is of course hard but something that needs to be done. Both science and religion are equally important and instead of dismissing one theory completely for the sake of the other, you should make both of them corporate together for the sake of true advancement.
Cthonus I have to say that if you wanted to live without science you wouldn't live long: no medicine, no electrical appliances, no insulated dwellings, no mass agriculture, no transport faster than a horse...

A more nuanced question would be: would you like to live in a society governed by a theocracy or a scientocracy? Neither of them appeal much to me as both are bound to be rigorously dogmatic in their undertakings. Under the scientocracy those with a logical, analytical mindset would flourish. Under a theocracy it would be those who learn by rote...

I expect in neither of these worlds would Mr Brown be received with honours...
Stephen Unfortunately, the question posed is a false dichotomy and so leads to various 'non sequiturs' in place of the possibility of a logical conclusion.
However, a better question to which a logical answer is possible may be: "...a world with Dan Brown books or a world without Dan Brown books?" or "why do I keep reading Dan Brown books?"
Dennis Raffaelli For me I do not see a conflict, My relationship with God is important to me. At the same time, I take advantage of the discoveries of Science. Maybe we could ask a world without institutional religion, although for me my house of worship works for me. I would not force it on anyone else.
Christopher Nilsson Science involves thinking for yourself and drawing your own conclusions based on evidence, so science is infinitely more valuable. Who would or could rationally argue with that? SCIENCE FOR THE WIN!!!!
Rahul Handa Long time ago I was contemplating....
Why would GOD concoct such a thing as "Religion"....
But of course it divides his creation....his people...
Without which (religion) all would be one...

So, religion divides but it's absence unites...

There could be 2 answers...

1.) Man created religion...

2.) GOD sent prophets at various points in time to help his people..
Whatever those prophets preached , depending upon the time & locale the same was penned down as HOLY BOOKS.

So, the prophets became avatars / immortals and their preaching gave way for "Religion"...

So, which of the above 2 hypothesis is true?

I can assert with certain degree of surety that the second one is a fallacy for sure.....
Ruth Oldja There is no real situation where that choice would ever be offered. Those are two completely different things, not different sides of the same coin. Science explains our existence, how we exist, when we exist, what might one day exist. Religion is what people choose to believe in order to give meaning to that existence.

Religion, in other words, exists in our minds, and it needs us humans in order to exist on this planet in the first place (whether you believe in God or not, whether He exists or not). Science, on the other hand, (the objective reality of our universe and the way it operates) would exist whether or not we were here and whether or not we were religious. So how can one even comprehend a world in which one can choose between the two?
Nathan Lin Science gives us our world today, but without religion we would not have the right moral values to use the technology correctly
Rida My personal values are religion above science, but I do not see science as irrelevant.
Jordan McCartney Would largely depend on the religious beliefs of an individual. Being an atheist I would obviously rather a world without religion. A difficult one to contemplate when it comes to a religious scientist though.
Emilio Me the science agrees with many things about religion, both they are created by humans and for humans.
The Da Vinci Code it is based on historical and religion facts, but, at some point, the author wants to make it "viral" so comes up with a story that it's a fiction...
Image for The Da Vinci Code
by Dan Brown (Goodreads Author)