Amanda Stafinski

I would like some comparison on the young reader vs. the "adult" version.

Anne16 Both books are, certainly, well-written, but the "adult" version is much more comprehensive in terms of the history, political history, and cultural aspects of Pakistan and much more in depth regarding events Malala experiences. I have read both with 7th graders, and the "young reader" version was appreciated much more.
Bassmh after accidentally picking up the young reader's version, I decided that since it's the story of the same person, and more or less both are conveying the same message I carried on reading. But I found myself disliking the writing style of the YA version, due to the multiple usage of "I" and simple language with no depth in anything except glorifying family love, so I stopped midways and picked the standard version, and so far it seems a correct decision.

I assumed the YA version only lacked violent details, only when reading the standard version that I noticed that even events are different, and some are just left out.

changing to standard version - even midways of YA version - is a worthy decision, with the added benefit of having a book to giveaway.
Jaimie Farrell The young reader version tells the story in a manner that is engaging yet still enlightening for younger readers. It includes just enough background in the political and cultural that children can place themselves in Malala's shoes without getting immersed in topics that can take away from her story. The adult version gets into a level of detail of Malala's story that helps the adult reader further understand the underlying issues that we have been exposed to at a personal level that a mature reader can appreciate and help enhance the story. I think as an adult reading both books gives you a broader perspective of both the child view and adult view. If you are running a multi-leveled reader book club. Assign both and allow the discussion to unfold.
Linda Here is an interview with Malala in Publisher's Weekly where she talks about the differences between the two books. I think mainly the difference is the level of graphic violence. It's toned down the children's version.
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by...
Tommie B What does a "Young Readers Edition" mean if its already a children's book?
Alex Thanks all, I really don't remember why I asked this exactly but I'm intent on reading the standard version
Lesley I wondered the same thing. Thanks Linda.
Image for I Am Malala