Elisabeth Martínez garcía

Do you need to read the ones before to read this book? Is there any personal history besides or it is a totally independent book?

To answer questions about The Snowman, please sign up.
Kerry The Harry Hole books do all work independently though if you read later books first they contain 'spoilers' relating to the regular characters, primarily the officers and their families. Most obviously, if you know a particular character appears in a later book that they are not going to die in a seemingly perilous situation in the older one.

As Holger says, you do not need to have read the previous ones to be able to follow the story but there are references to events that have already happened. I have read the series completely out of order and it has not spoilt my enjoyment.
Holger Haase It's not a totally independent book and there is personal history hinted at referring back to previous books but you don't necessarily need to have read any of the others before this one. I e.g. had only been familiar with one other Harry Hole mystery yet still enjoyed THE SNOWMAN without knowing the other works in the series.
Ronaldo Siète Jo Nesbo is so good, you want to read all his books, so... start with the first one. You can read each book separately, but it's better to read them in order.
Tim I am currently binge-reading these. I suggest starting with "The Bat" and going through to "Police" If I had started where many did with "Redbreast" I would not have read any of the others. Now that they have all been translated into English, treat yourself to the whole series in order.

The mysteries (mostly) are independent. But events in Harry's life build from the first book. {I said "mostly" because this book actually keys, at one point, on something that happened in "The Bat"}
Redhoss If you do not read the books in order, you will be very sorry.
Image for The Snowman
by Jo Nesbø (Goodreads Author)