Jordan
Jordan asked Gayle Forman:

I recently finished Where She Went, and was so enthralled with how real Adam's feelings felt to me, as some one who has gone through depression. Now, I love If I Stay in its concept, but I feel like the real story was in the aftermath of her decision, in the different ways people deal with grief, over losing someone to death, or to circumstance. How do you feel about this interpretation?

Gayle Forman One of the wonderful things about books is that as soon as they're out, they become public property, so it doesn't really matter how I feel about this interpretation because what I really care about is that story moved you enough to think about it and form one.

(But, yes, Where She Went was very much an exploration of grief. It's one reason it's Adam's POV. Because we already went through that with Mia and I wanted to explore it though the bystander, the person a bit removed from the tragedy, who maybe didn't feel like he had a right to his grief. And to look at how that wrecked him. You feel what you feel. You can't deny it. You have to own it and work through.)