Goodreads asked Gayle Parness:

Gayle Parness My latest YA book, "Breaking Out", is a spin off from my original series. It's a story that needs to be told because my lead character, Charlie, is a key player in both series. I'll be writing two more books in the Triad Series before everyone can meet up again in the "Grand Finale." This book takes place in a world I'd already created, so I didn't need to start at square one.

However, I'm also working on a new series, a paranormal romance that takes place in NYC 150 years in the future. It's based around a new species that has been enslaved by a very nasty and powerful supernatural creature who's got the population under his thumb. The first book takes you into their difficult and violent world, a world of secrets and hidden magic, and centers on a young female's fight to find freedom and the male who wants to protect her. Book two will feature a different couple, although the original cast will continue to appear.

I spent many years in NYC and grew to love the energy and the determination of the people who live there. It seemed a perfect background for my story of supernatural underdogs who start a grass roots rebellion.