Sgiamos
Sgiamos asked:

is it appropriate for a twelve year old

To answer questions about If I Stay, please sign up.
Hannah Wasserman yes I read it when I was 11
Book_Lover_8 I personally would have had no problem reading this when I as twelve, but it all depends on the person's maturity. There are some disturbing parts in the crash scene and some language/sexual references. I would wait until the person is a bit older, just so they enjoy the book more.
Connie I offer this book to my tenth grade students, every winter, as an Independent Reading assignment along with other Young Adult books. In fact, one of the reviewers on this page, Kerrie, is a former student of mine, who probably read it a couple of years ago in my class. The parents sign a permission slip, or not if they have objections. After the book chat, the students discuss their decisions on whether or not Mia made a wise decision and why. The only book, parents objected to, in my 7 years of offering this assignment was Jodi Picoult's My Sister's Keeper. The profanity in Muchado gave me a headache so I haven't offered that in a while. My male students liked the message in the book and the language did not bother them. If I Stay is not appropriate or offered to my ninth grade students.
Susie Prendergast I won't be putting this in my sixth grade classroom. However, it is a very short read, so you can easily preview it and decide.
Erica Hopper I think that is an answer only the parent or guardian can best know. The book is emotional, there's sexual references and some cursing, but for me the crash scene is the most emotional and sticks with you. If the 12 year old is more mature and can handle such topics, if you feel the 12 year old can be exposed to these topics, then it's fine. When I was 12, I would've read this book and I feel it wouldn't have affected me negatively. Then again, I was reading adult literature at that age. Other 12 year old's I know wouldn't have been able to handle it.
Stefanie Câmara Manoel Personally, I would not let a twelve year old read it. It drops the F-bomb at least four times in one sentence and there is a sexual scene (with vague details, but you get the point) and the crash scene is especially disturbing, even to me.
Shira it's very emotional and intense, which is the main thing that might not be appropriate for a twelve year old. there are detailed descriptions of people's injuries after a car crash, some profanity, and a sexually-charged (without a lot of detail) scene.
Image for If I Stay
by Gayle Forman (Goodreads Author)